Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Can an old eviction make it more difficult for me to enter a new lease?

My last landlord evicted me from the property, and now I'm looking for a new place. Can a future landlord refuse to rent to me because of the eviction? Yes. A landlord may refuse to rent to a tenant because of a prior eviction. The Texas Association of REALTORS® Residential Lease Application (TAR 2003) asks whether the applicant has ever been evicted. Furthermore, an eviction could include a judgment against a tenant for nonpayment of rent, which could negatively affect that tenant’s credit score. A poor credit score can also be grounds for denial of a lease applicant. While landlords can refuse to rent to a tenant based on a prior eviction or a poor credit score, they are not required to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment