Saturday, November 15, 2014

Do I have to disclose a repair I made last year?

I hired a licensed electrician last year to fix a wiring issue in my home. I’m putting my house on the market next week, and I know I’m supposed to disclose defects of the property. Since I had the wiring issue fixed, do I have to disclose it? No, you do not have to disclose a previous wiring repair. While you must disclose known defects or malfunctions of your property, the only previous repairs you must disclose are those to the foundation, roof, or other structural repairs, such as a collapsed overhang. Since the repair of the wiring issue is not one of these types of repairs, you do not have to disclose it. If you have made previous roof, foundation, or other structural repairs, you should disclose these items in Section 3 of the Texas Association of REALTORS® Seller’s Disclosure Notice. Section 4 is where you should disclose anything still in need of repair. Your Texas REALTOR® can provide more information about this form. While you’re not required to disclose this electrical repair, keep in mind that it’s always better to disclose too much than too little. You’ll reduce your risk of facing future problems if you’re up front and honest in your disclosures.

No comments:

Post a Comment